Sunday, February 28, 2016

Why not?


The title says it all. I saw this recipe online last week and it looked interesting. I have been looking for a new protein powder to try and one to include in my baking so why not? I had a coupon for fhe vitamin store so made my way there and of course purchased way more than I needed but also bought the protein powder used for these. Now I know in your head you are saying cookies with protein powder? Yes but they do not taste chalky or anything! They have a nice nutty flavor and with the caramel are pretty easy to eat the whole batch before you realize it (makes a small amount). Enjoy!


Ingredients
    Shortbread cookies: 
  • 1 scoop protein powder (I used Snickerdoodle PEScience)
  • 3 tbsp. almond meal or flour
  • 3 tbsp. powdered peanut butter ( I used nuts n more maple powdered pb)
  • 2 tbsp. Pure maple syrup 
  • 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. coconut oil (melted)
  • 2 tbsp. warm water
  • Caramel
  • 7 dates
  • 3 tbsp. Nut butter (I used d's brownie batter fluff butter but original recipe called for peanut butter)
  • 2 tsp coconut oil (melted)
  • 2-3tbsp. water
  • Chocolate
  • Half of a trader joes dark chocolate bar
  • 1/2 tsp. coconut oil (melted)
Directions:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 325f and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 
  2. In a bowl, mix together the protein powder, powdered peanut butter and almond flour. Mix until combined.
  3. Add in the maple syrup and melted coconut oil and warm water and mix until a dough forms ( this is where you may need to add a bit more coconut oil or water I chose to add more oil) 
  4. Spoon out cookies in the shape and size you would like. ( the dough is a tad on the sticker side so I just did circle drops). 
  5. Place the cookies on the baking sheet and bake for 7 -8 minutes (bottoms should be a tad golden brown and tops settled). They do not spread too much so don't worry about that. 
  6. Let the cookies cool while you prepare your caramel. I left them on the pan you can place on a cooling rack as well.
  7. Place all caramel ingredients into a food processor or blender. Blend on high and stop to scrape the sides when needed. (I also added coconut oil and more water here because my Carmel was quite thick and not really mixing) 
  8. Spread a thick layer of caramel over each cookie. 
  9. Melt chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave making sure not to burn the chocolate (I used 20 second intervals and stirred in between---put in twice) 
  10. Using a fork, drizzle chocolate over each cookie.


  1. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes to harden.
  2. If consuming right away take out and enjoy if not place in freezer tight container and store in the fridge. 
Recipe adapted from: 

http://www.peanutbutterpluschocolate.com/2016/02/

No comments:

Post a Comment