Every year I say the same thing...Valentine's Day is such a Hallmark holiday. That is ok though because if just gives me another excuse to bake and it usually involves lots of chocolate :) This year is no different. I found a white chocolate almond bar recipe and made it Betty style with some dark chocolate because we all know dark or milk chocolate is better anyways :) enjoy!
1/2 cup of butter
2 of Trader Joes dark chocolate bars
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. flour ( I used white wheat baking flour)
1/2 tsp. salt
raspberry puree(see directions below-need sugar and a lemon too) (or the original recipe called for 3/4 c. seedless raspberry jam)
1/4 cup sliced almonds and more to sprinkle on the top
For the bars:
1. Line or grease a 9-inch square pan and preheat oven to 325.
2. Make raspberry puree if not using remade jam
-In a sauce pan place a container of raspberries, a tablespoon of sugar and the juice from 1/4 a lemon (I used half and it was too much) cover with water. Muddle and then bring to a boil. Once brought to a boil cook at a simmer for 5-7 minutes. Place in strainer to remove the liquid. It is up to your texture preference to remove or leave the seeds-personally I like jam with seeds in it.
3. In a seperate saucepan, melt butter.
4. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate bars (broken up). Stir until combined.
5. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs until foamy add in sugar and mix.
6. Add in the butter and chocolate mixture, vanillia and mix until just combined.
7. Add in the flour and salt and again mix until just combined.
8. Spread half of the batter into the prepared pan.
9. Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes.
10. Spread raspberry jam over warm crust.
11. Drop the remaining dough by chunks over the jam. Sprinkle with almonds.
12. Bake 30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
13. Cool completely or burn your mouth trying it like I did....
14. Cut into bars and enjoy with some ice cream :) OR make a brownie sundae with some ice cream and whipped cream!
Original white chocolate almond bar recipe can be found here: http://thegoldlininggirl.com/2014/08/raspberry-white-chocolate-almond-bars/