Monday, February 15, 2016

Sometimes a girl just wants some chocolate chip cookies.






I have been craving chocolate chip cookies for a good week or so now. So why haven't I made them yet? Well it was my birthday last week and was busy baking other items (including 2 failed cakes woops) AND one of my good friends and former conworkers dropped off a derby pie aka toll house cookie pie on crack at my new school on my birthday so my craving was satisfied for a bit. I also hadn't yet because I love to make new recipes and any type of cookie but some how for some reason ( except for the last few times) I always mess up or burn chocolate chip cookies....aren't they suppose to be the easiest?! Oh well I have been mastering them with the last few tries...well I don't know about mastering but not messing up :) usually I stick with grandmas recipe or another go to chocolate chip cookie recipe I have but strayed this time. I believe I made this recipe once a couple summers ago but don't think I changed anything. If you know me at all you know that the double tree is one of my favorite hotels due to fact that they give (or use to) you fresh and warm chocolate chip cookies (last time only when requested and upon check in but at one point in time it used to be every time they cleaned!). Those cookies were great. I would be excited to go to swim meets just to stay there and get the cookies (yes true fat kid status) I would even eat them right before finals started...woops (although I still swam a best time right after one!) One year my mom even bought me a tin of them for Christmas :) Anywas enough ranting from me. I found a recipe for them and used it more for measurements and added a little Betty twist. Enjoy!


Ingredients: 



1/2 cup rolled oats ( processed until fine grain NOT oat flour) 
2-1/4 cups flour ( I used white wheat but calls for all purpose)
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
A dash of salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1 cup dark brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1 trader joes dark chocolate bar chopped and shaved ( variety is the spice of life) *next time I might add a bit more 
1 cup finely chopped walnuts

Directions:

1.Preheat oven to 350ºF (When ready to bake after chilling dough)

 2. Line a cookie baking sheet with parchment paper. 

3. Grind oats in a food processor or blender until fine (make sure not to process to long or you will end up with oat flour!). 


4.Combine the ground oats with the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Wisk until combined. 

5. Cream together the melted coconut oil , brown sugar, and vanilla until just combined. 

6. Add the eggs and mix until combined. 

7. Add the flour mixture to the mixer bowl with the wet ingredients and mix until just combined and a dough forms. 

8. Add in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Mix until combined. 




9. Take bowl off of mixer and create a big ball with the dough making sure it is all mixed and all nuts and chocolate is distributed evenly. 




10. Scoop or spoon out rounded balls and place on a plate or in a ball to chill. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl...I made 2 more cookies from that dough...might want to check the mixer attachment too (I forgot but had a lot to taste test with...woops raw dough is good for you right?) 



11.  Cover with cling wrap or press and seal. Place in fridge for at least an hour before baking (can be as long as overnight). If need be you can freeze the extra dough if you have more than you need. 

12. Preheat oven to 350. Place prerounded cookies on baking sheet and place in oven. 

13. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until center is still a little on the softer side but edges are lightly browned. 

14. Cool on pan for 5 minutes and then place on cooling rack to finsh. That is after trying 1 or 2 or 5. 

15. Enjoy warm or cooled! ( I prefer warm with some nice ice cream on top...or make an ice cream sandwich :) ). 



(Store any extras in an airtight container at room temperature after completely cooled). 


Original recipe can be found here: 

http://www.somethingswanky.com/doubletree-hotel-chocolate-chip-cookies/


No comments:

Post a Comment