Sunday, May 31, 2015

Summer fever still.....Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble




I am going to save the small talk and get right to the point. YOu can read about the summer fever and rhubarb in the jam post :). Again just like every other time I bake I just wanted to bake! No excuse really neeeded but I found some anyways. These were suppose to be  crumble bars but turned more into just a crumble. Because of that I (with the wonderful help of the smartest mom ever) put them into cupcake liners to share with others. I found the original recipe here http://www.peanutbutterandpeppers.com/2014/05/17/strawberry-rhubarb-crisp-bars-vegan-gluten-free/
but of course changed it around a bit. OH ALSO. I intended to make just one batch but doubled the recipe so this recipe reflects the double recipe! Enjoy :)

Ingredients

    2 cups small-diced rhubarb
    1.5 cup diced strawberries
    1 tsp. cornstarch
    1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice ( I just squeezed half a lemon)
    1 tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
    2 cup rolled oats
   1 cup almond meal
    2/3  cup dark brown sugar
    a pinch of salt
    ⅛ tsp. baking soda
    11 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
    extra brown sugar

Instructions

   1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
    2. Line an 9 x 13in  pan with parchment paper
   3. Chop and dice rhubarb and strawberries.


   4. In a bowl, add rhubarb, strawberries, cornstarch, lemon juice,and sugar, mix until combined; set aside (it was really warm in the kitchen so I put in fridge)



   5. In a mixing bowl add oats, almond meal, brown sugar, salt and baking soda; mix until combined.   

 6. Pour melted coconut oil over the top; stir until combined.  At this point I mixed together with my hands :) Coconut Oil is good for the skin isn't it?!
 7. Reserve a half cup of mixture and press the rest of the crumb mixture evenly in the bottom of the pan.
8. Spread fruit over the crust. 
9. Scatter reserved crumbs over the fruit.

10. Bake the bars in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes, until fruit is soft and lightly golden in color.

11. Let bars cool in pan and cut into squares. Mine crumbled so I cut into squares and then put in cupcake liners. 
12. Enjoy plain or heat and top with ice cream :)


No comments:

Post a Comment