Sunday, May 10, 2015

nanners nanners nanners..........a belated Cinco de Mayo treat.


As you know I take any holiday as an excuse to bake. And again as you know, last week was Cinco de Mayo. I did plenty of research as to what I wanted to bake. I have already done margarita cupcakes and some other traditional Mexican desserts....well not so much traditional but ones that are similar to the margarita cupcakes. I know churros are a typical Mexican dessert but do not trust myself frying them....I found a recipe for a baked version but if I am going to make churros I am going to fry them so I want to wait. While looking around I stumbled upon this recipe http://www.babble.com/best-recipes/churro-swirl-banana-bread-the-best-banana-bread-youve-ever-made/   and decided it would be my adventure. Churro swirl banana bread YES PLEASE. I had mixed all the flour and powders together because I was busy after school so wanted to be prepared ahead of time (odd I know). I was all set to go but then realized it was teacher appreciation week so we had a breakfast and luncheon...I knew there would be so much food left over so I waited until tonight to make the bread. I am glad I did because it gave the naners time to become more ripe and sweeter. The recipe is pretty easy to put together and takes about 45minutes to bake. I decided to make the bread in a 13in. x 9 in. pan instead of two separate loaf pans (it is easier to share this way :))


Ingredients:
For the bread batter:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup dark brown sugar ( I was out of regular so used this instead)
4 eggs
2 tablespoon vanilla extract ( about...you know me....2 nice pours)
4 cups white wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
6 very ripe bananas ( I had some larger ones and a couple smaller ones)
Churro Swirl:
1 cup sugar
4 Tablespoons cinnamon ( give or take---I used about 3.5)

Directions:

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 2. Line baking dish with parchment paper (or you could spray it but I am lazy and love parchment paper...easy to clean after)

3. In a mixer cream together the butter, sugar, and eggs and vanilla extract and mix well.

4. Add the flour, baking powder, and bananas mix just until combined. ( I added some flour and naners then mixed then added again and repeated twice) .






5. Mix batter with spatula before you take it out to ensure everything is mixed. The batter becomes quite thick and you want to make sure everything is spread out.


6. Carefully spread a  layer of batter on the bottom of the pan. The batter is hard to move around it is becomes quite messy. (sticks a tad to the parchment).
7.  Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture, then spread a second layer on top and repeat until you are out! ( I have a layer of batter, then churro mix, batter, churro mix, batter and then a final topping). It is ok if when you are putting the batter on top of mix it all combines....more goodness in the batter :)



8. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until loaf springs back when touched in the center.

9. Let cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes or get a spoonful or peanut butter and enjoy :)
10. Remove from pan, slice, and serve warm. 
 
















No comments:

Post a Comment