Sunday, May 17, 2015

Just preparing for berry picking season :) Strawberry Shortcake Biscuit Cookies



 Sunday Sunday Sunday.....yes that means baking day :).  Baking for me is not a chore it is something I enjoy doing and something that relaxes me. I was going to do some baking this week but never got around to doing it. I guess going to the chiropractor was a better choice. Anyways we had some strawberries last week that needed to be used up (that is also another reason why I was going to bake) so was trying to think of something with strawberries. I also had some overripe naners but as you know those were put to use. I was going to make a strawberry nanner muffin with them though! Next time.  If you do not know me you don't know that other than ice cream, strawberry short cake (using biscuits not the fake kind) is my other all time favorite treat. I was going to stray from my normal cookie routine and then I found a recipe for strawberry shortcake cookies online and adapted it quite a bit. The consistency is more like a biscuit/scone than a cookie (really it is not like a cookie at all). That is something to keep in mind if you are planning on making these. If you are expecting a cookie similar to a traditional chocolate chip cookie than do not make these! If you are interested in the original recipe you can find it here....http://www.spoonforkbacon.com/2015/05/strawberry-shortcake-cookies/ . As you can see from the picture I enjoyed one or two before they cooled off. I also highly suggest topping with some ice cream....or making them bigger and using them for the biscuit base for a shortcake (I will try that come strawberry season........I was just testing some recipes before hand :) ).


Strawberry Shortcake Biscuit Cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup chopped strawberries ( I used a combo of 7 small and medium ones)
 1 tablespoon of honey
2 cups of white wheat four (this does make them taste different--if you want the true biscuit flavor go with all purpose--my dad made sure to make that comment)
1/4 cup of white sugar ( and a little more--I had 1/2 measured out but did not use the whole thing)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
a pinch of salt
1/2 cup Siggis strawberry flavored yogurt (one container of it)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or a pour)

vanilla glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoons milk
vanilla extract ( I used too much because of that I added more sugar and milk until it was at a desired consisency and taste)
1 teaspoon honey



Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper. 
2. Dice/chop strawberries -make sure that the pieces separate so each cookie gets some lovin' :) 


3. Place strawberries and honey  in a small container and mix until strawberries are well coated with the honey. Place in refrigerator and set aside.










4. In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.



5. Stir in the Greek yogurt and vanilla and mix until just combined. The dough will be crumbly and this is what you are looking for.


6. Fold in the strawberry mixture mix until well combined.

7. Form a ball out of the dough to make sure you have everything mixed together and off of the bottom. 

8. Spoon desired sized dough onto lined baking sheets (when I am bringing the baked goods places I tend to make them a bit smaller but would make these bigger next time).



9. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies have barely started to brown on top (these are for the smaller sized---bigger biscuits would probably require a little more time to cook inside about 15-18 minutes). 


10.  Remove from the oven and transfer cookies onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.

11. While the cookies are cooking (or before if you have no self control like me) make the glaze: 

Place the sugar, milk and vanilla into a small bowl and gently wish together until no lumps remain. 
Drizzle glaze over cookies and serve or allow to set before serving (HA yeah right).

 

12. Enjoy :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment