Sunday, May 31, 2015

Let the BBQ season begin :)




BBQ SEASON HAS ARRIVED :) If you know me at all you know that I love to BBQ. ANYTHING. Dessert as well. Sorry if that got your hopes up this is not a bbq'ed dessert.... I was really excited because my cousin was having a BBQ this weekend! I know I wanted to make something but was not quite sure what. I know my family is usually over-prepared with the dessert foods so did not want to make too too much. I also know that my family is obsessed with York Peppermint Patty candies so wanted to somehow incorporate those into this dessert (because the family that was hosting is particularly obsessed! ). I did a little thinking and brainstorming and came up with brownies or cookies but then found out that someone was already bringing cookies and then a chocolate dessert (not that there is such a thing as too much chocolate but wanted to switch it up). Last weekend I made some rice crispy treats for someone who was gluten free BUT little did I know regular Rice Krispie cereal is NOT gluten free....there is a different box (yellow not blue). OH WELL. The other people seemed to enjoy so although I do not like to bake the same thing two weekends in a row I also know my family really likes Rice Krispie treats as well. BUT I did not make any ordinary rice crispy treat. I made peppermint patty treats :) Now a little side note.....apparently I can make intricate desserts in one try but Rice Krispie treats are another story.... I had a few mishaps.....
and originally forgot to add the butter until later BUT I am going to say that that oversight made them even better! I might just make them that way next time! I will post the regular way though. Basically you just follow the recipe on the back of the cereal box!

Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 package (10 oz., about 40) JET-PUFFED Marshmallows  
  • 5 cups of Rice Krisipies Cereal 
  • 20 unwrapped York Peppermint Patty Candies 
Directions:

1. Prepare candy and unwrap
2. Chop into small bits or just break apart (if it is warm be careful because they melt quickly)


3. Place marshmallows and butter in a BIG microwave safe bowl. Cook for one minute. Take out and give a good stir. Place back in microwave and cook for another minute. Do not do what I did.....make sure you use a BIG bowl.
 4. Place cereal in LARGE mixing bowl. 
 5. Add marshmallow mix and the majority of the chopped up candy. Mix around so the chocolate melts. 
6. Add in a few of the remaining chopped up pieces and mix until combined and still together. 
7.  Add to lined baking dish or SPRAYED dish. 
8. Top with any remaining chopped up pieces.
9. Let sit and then enjoy or just enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment