Sunday, May 31, 2015

Summer fever has hit.....hit hard. Strawberry-Rhubarb Butter/Jam



Clearly I am just in the summer mindset. While perusing the farmers market the rhubarb just looked so good…summer fever has hit. As of last weekend our rhubarb was not ready so I picked up a bunch while at the market only to come home to find out ours is now ready. That only means double the cooking/ baking :) I know it is not truly strawberry season here yet but the berries from the market have been quite tasty. I have not dabbled in the jam making too much but have been wanting to make a strawberry Riesling jam that I did last year again soon. I was planning on making that but with the rhubarb purchase I decided to wait. Instead I found this recipe that I decided to try out    www.meghantelpner.com/blog/quick-and-sweet-like-rhubarb-butter/.
Of course I made some changes and made it my own. If you would like the original just rhubarb butter recipe you can head over to this blog for the recipe 

***I am also using this as a chicken marinade today too! (CAME OUT AMAZING)



Strawberry-Rhubarb Butter/Jam

Prep time: 5

Cook time:  15

Total time:  20

Ingredients

    4 stalks of rhubarb-chopped into pieces (does not really matter size just small enough to fit     into processor/blender)
6-8 medium sized strawberries- cut tops off and chop ( I did not hull them out)
    1 apple chopped (I left skin on)
    ½ cup honey
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions:

1. Wash and chop rhubarb- MAKE SURE NOT TO USE LEAVES
2. Wash and chop apple
3. Wash and cut strawberries

4. Add rhubarb, apple, and strawberries to a food processor or ninja.
5. Puree together until smooth in your food processor. ( It took about 2 mins. in my ninja)
While pureeing you can add the honey, vanilla, and cinnamon to a large pot.
6. When you have a smooth puree, pour the mixture into at the pot with honey, vanilla, and cinnamon.
7. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring to ensure it does not burn.
8. Once boiled, reduce heat and let mixture cook on a  simmer and continue to stir every 4-5 minutes.
9. Cook for about  20 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.

10. I added it back into the ninja and pureed it after it was done cooking to reach a smoother consistency.
11. Pour into container you will be storing the jam in. If you know me it is a mason jar :) Let cool.
**** store in fridge.
  



No comments:

Post a Comment