For Whoopie Pies:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- nice pour of vanilla
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Hershey's special dark cocoa, sifted
- 2 1/3 cups cake flour
- 1 cup milk
Make Whoopie Pies:
Preheat oven to 350˚F and line sheets with parchment paper.
1. In a large bowl, beat together butter, brown sugar, espresso powder (if using), baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla.
2. Add egg and beat until smooth. Add cocoa and mix to combine.
3. Add 1 cup of flour then milk then the remaining flour mix until just combined.
5. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the cakes are set and firm to the touch.
6. Remove from the oven and cool for a few minutes, then transfer to cooling racks to cool completely.
I used my buttercream frosting and I do not really measure sorry! The following is from the site I adapted the pie recipe from.
For Buttercream Filling:
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1¼ cups powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
In a large bowl, whip butter over medium-high speed until smooth, about 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar and salt and beat on medium-high speed until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes. Mix in vanilla and heavy cream on low speed until just incorporated, then increase speed to medium-high and whip for 4 minutes, making sure to stop a few times to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Transfer filling to a piping bag.
To assemble the cookies:
match them up in pairs by size. Pipe filling onto the flat side of one cookie, and then place the second cookie on top to create a sandwich.
Enjoy with some milk :)
recipe adapted from: https://myninjanaan.com/2013/12/27/daring-bakers-whoopie-pies-chocolate-whoopie-pie-with-buttercream-filling/