We had a luncheon for work so I need to bake up some treats. I had been wanting to try these for a while and thought they would be a nice fall cookie. Let me just say before you make these that brown butter is ADDICTING. It smells SO good when you are browning it and even better when baking. I just wanted to drink it out of the mason jar (but for once in my life I had self control). Enjoy and make sure to use PURE maple syrup.
Maple Brown Butter Sugar Cookies
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- chop up butter and cook in a saucepan over medium heat. MAKE SURE TO STIR CONSTANTLY TO AVOID BURNING until butter foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown (about 6-10 minutes).
- Pour browned butter into a mason jar and chill in the freezer until solidified (about 30-45minutes).
- In a bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
- In your mixer bowl, mix solidified brown butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add in the egg and egg yolk.
- Add in vanilla and maple syrup, mixing until well combined.
- Slowly add flour mixture; mix just until combined.
- Using a cookie scooper form balls with the dough and then cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place dough on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8- 12 minutes, until lightly golden
- transfer to a wire rack to cool
recipe adapted from: http://tutti-dolci.com/2015/10/maple-brown-butter-sugar-cookies/#