Betty has been on vacation and did zero baking and obviously had the urge to bake now that I am home. I also missed a birthday while I was away so why not....just another reason to create something new. I had dirty turtle bars in mind but was out of pecans so made these....caramel and chocolate is still involved so don't worry :). Keep a look out for those coming your way soon.
Chewy caramel double chocolate oatmeal bars
- 1½ cup flour (was out of ap so used white wheat)
- 1⅓ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 stick unsalted butter (melted)
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 milk chocolate bar broken into chunks (I used the trader joes sized one)
- Half the bag of the Kraft caramel bites
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking soda, and salt your mixing bowl. Mix to combine.
- Add the melted butter, milk, and vanilla. Mix until just combined.
- Add in the dark chocolate chips. Mix until just combined.
- Press ¾ of the dough into prepared baking dish. Make sure it is evenly spread out.
- Sprinkle Carmel bites over the dough and the chunks to milk chocolate as well and press chunks into the dough.8. Place in preheated oven and bake for about 40 minutes, until the top layer is golden brown.9. Let cool in pan until the caramel is cooled.10. Served heated up with some ice cream :)Measurements adapted from: http://pinchofyum.com/chocolate-caramel-oatmeal-bars