Sunday, June 21, 2015

Strawberries for Days.....berry picking and my favorite dessert.


                                                   STRAWBERRY SEASON IS HERE :)

 SUMMER has finally arrived. Although I am teaching summer school come July, Friday was my first official day of summer. But of course I had a doctors appointment that morning. That is ok it was a short one for my foot! Anyways, I was already in Providence and have had the want to go strawberry picking from seeing all the pictures online. Other than ice cream strawberry shortcake (with biscuits and not cake style) is my favorite dessert. I could eat it for every meal. Ok not really but you get my point. Heat the biscuit and top it with ice cream, strawberries and whipped cream and you have one happy girl. SO GREAT. Anyways...I decided because I was already half way there why not head over to the lovely Four Town Farms in Seekonk. This place has become my new favorite (well last summer it did). Everything is so fresh and they have an awesome you pick flower place come later in the summer! I can't wait! I headed over there in the hopes it would be less crowded on a Friday than a Saturday. I think a lot of people had the same thought. That is ok though because they have a pretty great system going on. You hop on the hay ride to the field and are then assigned a row to pick it! A ROW just for you! It was AWESOME. I kept the little girl next to me entertained and went a little overboard with the amount I was picking. BUT in my defense I was planning to bake a pie as well. See my dad always says why can't you just make a regular pie (using AP flour and not white wheat or regular cookies). He has been making this statement a lot lately because he loves rhubarb. So another reason why I wanted to go picking was to get fresh berries for the pie to make for Father's Day (we grow our own rhubarb). So in my head the amount of berries in my basket was justified :) . After deciding I had plenty of berries, I decided I should stop because I could always go back if need be :). Also, I was just super hot at this point because the sun decided to come out and be about 88 degrees. Before leaving I wanted to pick some peas! This farm is just so cool, right next to the berry field they had a section where you could pick your own peas. Now I have never really been a person just to snack on peas but have been taking them to work with lunch and am addicted now! There were a lot of people picking these too. I have never seen such fat peas and they are delicious. Just look they are huge!
I saw the tractor coming back so finished up picking the peas and hopped back on. Of course I just had to go in and check out the farm store too. Not only for veggies but for flowers too ( I knew I was baking so was good and skipped over the baked goods). After perusing around a bit I ended up with enough veggies for days (or knowing me a day ha). Again, everything is just so fresh and VERY reasonably priced (almost a steal!). I did not end up with any flowers but checked out my Gerber daises I had purchased a few months ago when I got home....Still growing nice and tall!














Sorry for the rant if you are reading this you want to know how to make strawberry short cake...onto the recipe. I found the original here.... http://www.takeamegabite.com/strawberry-sorbet-honey-shortcakes/.....but of course put my own Betty twist on it. There is no added sugar (the sweetness comes from honey--but it is not an overwhelming flavor because my mom doesn't like honey and she likes these and said they taste good) which I like because when you have fresh berries they tend to be sweet enough on their own! Enjoy!


Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits:

Ingredients:
  • 1 and 3/4-2 cups white wheat flour
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • a pinch of salt
  • 6 TBSP cold butter
  • 1/2 cup + 2 T milk (buttermilk would probably be the better choice but I did not have any in the fridge so went with regular milk)
  • 3 TBSP honey ( plus a squirt or two more of the bottle to cover the amount that might have not made it from the TBSP measuring spoon:) )
  • A dash of cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
  2. Whisk together the flours, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. 
     
  3. Cut the cold butter up into small pieces and add into the dry flour mixture. Mix until flour combines with butter. The butter should be small pea size crumbles.









  4.  Whisk together the buttermilk and honey in a separate bowl. Add the dash of cinnamon and whisk until incorporated.
  5.  Pour the wet mixture over the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon just until ingredients are combined. You do not want to over work the dough.
  6. Pour onto a floured surface and knead a few times, adding a few more handfuls of flour until the dough holds together nicely and isn’t too wet. Biscuit dough should not be too dry but also not be too wet ( I did have to add about 1/2 cup more flour). 
  7. Using your favorite biscuit cutter cut or the bottom of a cup ( you can even just make them drop biscuit and use a spoon) out shortcakes.  
  8.  Brush honey on top or brush milk and sprinkle white/brown sugar on top. I tried the honey this time and loved it!











  9. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden and baked through.


  10. Cool thoroughly on a wire rack or enjoy as a short cake right away...or maybe in 5 minutes :) (they are already nice and warm :) ) Cut it half (starting from the side DO NOT cut in half from the top you want it like a sandwich!). Top with whipped cream, strawberries, and ice cream! or how ever you like your shortcake! 

No comments:

Post a Comment