STRAWBERRY SEASON IS HERE :)
Sorry for the rant if you are reading this you want to know how to make strawberry short cake...onto the recipe. I found the original here.... http://www.takeamegabite.com/strawberry-sorbet-honey-shortcakes/.....but of course put my own Betty twist on it. There is no added sugar (the sweetness comes from honey--but it is not an overwhelming flavor because my mom doesn't like honey and she likes these and said they taste good) which I like because when you have fresh berries they tend to be sweet enough on their own! Enjoy!
Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits:
- 1 and 3/4-2 cups white wheat flour
- 1/2 t baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 6 TBSP cold butter
- 1/2 cup + 2 T milk (buttermilk would probably be the better choice but I did not have any in the fridge so went with regular milk)
- 3 TBSP honey ( plus a squirt or two more of the bottle to cover the amount that might have not made it from the TBSP measuring spoon:) )
- A dash of cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flours, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut the cold butter up into small pieces and add into the dry flour mixture. Mix until flour combines with butter. The butter should be small pea size crumbles.
- Whisk together the buttermilk and honey in a separate bowl. Add the dash of cinnamon and whisk until incorporated.
the wet mixture over the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon just until ingredients are combined. You do not want to over work the dough.
- Pour onto a
floured surface and knead a few times, adding a few more handfuls of
flour until the dough holds together nicely and isn’t too wet. Biscuit dough should not be too dry but also not be too wet ( I did have to add about 1/2 cup more flour).
- Using your favorite biscuit cutter cut or the bottom of a cup ( you can even just make them drop biscuit and use a spoon) out shortcakes.
- Brush honey on top or brush milk and sprinkle white/brown sugar on top. I tried the honey this time and loved it!
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until
lightly golden and baked through.
- Cool thoroughly on a wire rack or enjoy as a short cake right away...or maybe in 5 minutes :) (they are already nice and warm :) ) Cut it half (starting from the side DO NOT cut in half from the top you want it like a sandwich!). Top with whipped cream, strawberries, and ice cream! or how ever you like your shortcake!