Sunday, April 9, 2017

The indescisive coffee cake......


                                        
 
 
I had something I needed to bake for. I signed up for a breakfast bread but then wanted to make cookies but then happened upon a post for "funfetti coffee cake". Of course the title having the word FUNFETTI pulled me in. It came from one of my go to blogs Amy's healthy baking. The reason why I love her blog so much is because her recipes are "doable" healthier recipes. They are not recipes they are 100% percent clean but are healthy OR MUCH healthier than the original recipe would be. Don't get me wrong I follow a bunch of instagram accounts that are all clean and such and make some of the recipes as well but sometimes you want recipes like Amy creates OR you want the real thing. It is called balance. I find that her blog is the best with that. Ok back to the recipe. The main ingredient in her version that makes it "funfetti" is fruity pebbles. I did not have any of those but I did have mini- cadbury eggs. That is an even swap, right?! I mean the eggs are colorful. I know there are some odd people on this planet who do not like chocolate so I did half with the regular topping and half with the mini- eggs. Enjoy! 
 
 
for the cake batter: 
1¼ c ap flour
½ c white wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
2 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cloves
3 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup brown sugar
2 tbsp plain Siggis Yogurt (or plain greek yogurt)
1 egg
hearty pour of vanilla
½ c + 2 tbsp skim milk
cadbury mini eggs (crushed)
 
for the streusel topping: 
 
3 tbsp ap flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp (pule a little more) unsalted butter, softened


  1. Preheat the oven to 350°
  2.  line a 8”-square baking pan with parchment (or spray it)
  3.  prepare the streusel: mix all ingredients in a bowl. Mix with hands until a crumble forms. Set aside.
  4. FOR the CAKE: mix the the all-purpose flour, spices, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
  5. In your mixer bowl, cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla until fluffy. 
  6. Add in the yogurt, egg and mix until combined.
  7. Add in the flour mixture. Mix until combined. 
  8. Add in the milk and mix.      
  9. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and sprinkle the streusel topping on top of half and sprinkle the mini eggs on the other half.
  10.  Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. 


  11. Cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes before slicing and enjoying.
Served warmed up with some milk....or coffee :) 





Recipe adapted from: http://amyshealthybaking.com/blog/2013/05/07/a-fruity-tradition/

No comments:

Post a Comment