Sunday, December 4, 2016

Cinnamon Sugar Roll Ups























The Christmas spirit results in an attempt at my grandma's cinnamon sugar roll ups. I have been itching to make these for the past couple of weeks. There are various reasons one because why not, two because they are delightful and three because my grandma doesn't make them anymore and I wanted some. She never really had a recipe for these because she would use the leftover pie crust from her pies. Well I wasn't going to make a pie just to have crust so I used the pie crust I use for my tarts/pies. The only difference is that I used white wheat flour and my grandma does not. This was a messy baking experience (but lets be real all mine are) but it is worth it. Also if you have instagram head over to fooduzzi I will be sharing with her! She has a great page.

Ingredients:

Dough:

3 and 1/2 cups white wheat flour
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 white sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of ground giner
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter ( 3 sticks)
3 eggs
2 tablespoons of water

milk to brush the tops with

Cinnamon Sugar mix:

1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup cinnamon

*this will also depend on how much you use I had extra left over.













Directions:

1. Blend the flour and butter together in a food processor until it creates a crumble and grainy dough.



2. Move the dough to a mixer bowl.
3. Add the sugar and spices, mix together.

4. Add in the eggs and mix until just combined. Add in the vanilla and water mix again until just combined.

5. Use your hands to mix and create a ball with the dough to ensure all is combined.


6. Split ball into thirds.
7. Lightly flour a surface to roll out the dough.
8. Take one of the balls and roll out using a floured rolling pin.
9. Coat the dough with a heafty layer of the cinnamon and sugar mix.
    


10. Slice the dough down the middle the long horizontal way. 
11. Roll both halves toward each other- be careful if the dough is too thin it will rip ( I fill with dough left over)
12. once you have your logs slice into about 7 cookies.





repeat with remaining 2/3 thirds of dough

13. Place on a plate and chill in fridge for 30 mins. (while chilling clean up the mess of a kitchen you will have if you are anything like me).

when ready to bake:
14. pre-heat oven to 350 and line cookie sheet with parchment paper. 
15. place cookies on cookie sheet ( they do not expand so up to you how many)
16. brush tops with milk


17. place in oven for 12-15 mins.  until golden brown


18.  let cool on pan and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely

19. Enjoy with some ice cream and milk.
*these are my favorite either straight from the oven or after a couple of days.



No comments:

Post a Comment